Sunday, October 18, 2009

2 very different Publix stores

After running out of ramen earlier this week and finding myself excruciatingly hungry at 3:00 am on Sunday, I decided to take a trip to Publix today to restock. I decided not to take the grocery shuttle to Atlantic station and walk to the closer Publix near Tech Square. I was surprised at the difference between the two stores.

The one in Atlantic Station was more upscale, more like what I'm used to back home in Connecticut. The meat section looked very good, with top-end choice beef and other quality meats. They also had respectable-looking seafood, a good bakery with fresh bread, a great premium cheese section, lots of fresh produce, and a large organic food section.

At the closer publix, everything seemed to be lower quality. The store seemed older, and the things that were so good about the Atlantic Station Publix were far worse. The meats and seafood didn't look nearly as good. The bakery was smaller, with day-old bread. The cheese and produce sections I had seen in Atlantic Station were much smaller and lower quality there. And the organic food section was practically nonexistent.

The only way that I can explain the difference between these two stores is the area in which they are located. Atlantic Station is in a very upscale area (I saw a Lamborghini, a Ferrari, and an Aston Martin in the parking lot during my last trip), and the Publix near Tech Square is in a much less affluent area. Perhaps this is evidence that being a foodie is dependent on where your economic status?

6 comments:

  1. Huh, thats interesting, now I know not to go to
    the Tech Square Publix. Was there any difference in prices between the two stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually go to Publix for snacks like chips, instant noodles, energy drinks and the usual good tasting but horribly unhealthy stuff. Though there may be a difference in the bakery and seafood items, I found the stock of snacks to be more or less the same. Publix near Tech square is pretty affluent.. there's a five star hotel just a block away. Not too sure why there's such a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know there is a publix near Tech Square and I am happy with that now. Thanks for your discription.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it is closer to a college campus they would rather cater to the college students who are always looking for the cheapest deals. Most college students don't really mind the store's appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally do not mind the store's appearance when it comes to the bakery, seafood, etc. because I go strictly for snacks and juice. But I am sure that there probably is a quality difference in the seafood served in Tech Square versus Atlantic Station because more people probably buy from those sections in Atlantic Station.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might not find too many drinks when you order food at a Chinese hawker stall in the country. Most of the wayside stalls serving Chinese food in the country focus more on the food. phoenix pizza restaurant

    ReplyDelete