Sunday, October 18, 2009

Deep-fried Mars Bar

This morning, I found a wrapper of Snickers ice cream bar laying on my desk. It is kind of random, but somehow it reminded me of deep-fried Mars Bar. I got to know it while I was watching Samantha Brown's show on Travel Channel. Deep-fried candy bar sounds strange to me; however, if i get a chance I would definately try it out.


It is said to have been invented in the Haven Chip Bar in Stonehaven, near Aberden on Scotland's North-East coast, in 1995.

This is the recipe I found:


1 deep fried mars bar (change servings and units)

Top of Form

Change to: deep fried mars bar US Metric lose

Bottom of Form

clear stars

Write a Review! (optional)

Top of Form

Submit Cancel

Bottom of Form

Ingredients

  • 1 Mars bar or Milky Way bar
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1/2 cup corn flour
  • 1 pinch baking soda
  • milk or beer
  • oil (for deep frying)

Directions


Chill the chocolate bar by keeping it in the fridge, but don't freeze it.


Mix the flours and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) together.


Add milk (traditional) or beer (which gives a lighter result) until you get a batter with the consistency of thin cream.


Heat the oil until a small piece of bread will brown in a few seconds, but don't allow to smoke.


Remove wrapper from chilled chocolate bar.


Coat completely in batter.


Carefully lower into hot oil and fry until golden brown.


Serve, with ice cream or french fries, if you're so inclined.


picture:https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjd2JN2B5A-dU6saTkoeAQTEA9OfescMWaVoAGijMp37hXeKQdzGsfcj3eyR29Lm4YTcdjMBaxdSiTA5p2ydZweTudXS_yRiwwJ2XUbCdqqtu00QrRZGfl4oVpCQHUiieeSQIyb7hV3RyUa/s1600/deep-fried+marsbar.jpg

recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/Deep-Fried-Mars-Bars-43463

reference: wikipedia.org

10 comments:

  1. I've never had a deep fried candy bar! You should make small samples for the class or something! That would be incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this seems soooooooooo delicious, I would always try one if I'm not on a diet. Desserts are my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of deep fried candy bars but more commonly I hear of deep fried Twinkies. I just don't know if I could handle that. While I was in Rochester for Labor Day weekend one vendor was selling deep fried Oreos. I was tempted to try them but just went with funnel cake instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of something like that before, but that picture looks disgusting. I mean I would try the candy bar, but I hope it taste better than it looks.

    Michael Miller

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently the picture looks unpleasant.If it looks better(or what you showed is when the candy bar is melt?), I may try it.Anyway, desserts are always attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had one of these before. I can assure you that it tastes far better than it looks. If they're done wrong they can be greasy and gross, but if they're cooked right they're truly epic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've tried it before?? where? so far I haven't been able to find somewhere that will have fried cany bars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me of fried ice cream. The first time I heard of fried ice cream, I just didn't understand how that could even exist. But after I tasted it, I fell in love with it. I have a hunch that this fried mars bar would be delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fried Mars bar is a UK cultural phenomenon. There are reportedly places in the UK where you can bring any food item you want to be deep-fried.

    ReplyDelete