Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Glorious Weekend of Food

After weeks of complaining about boring dining hall food and lacking cooking facilities in the dorms at tech, I'm finally home. Of all the things to be excited about, the best part of coming home has been the food. I have access to a fully stocked kitchen with great quality pots and pans, a grocery store that's 5 minutes away (and a car to get there), and a much more relaxed food budget. My parents knew I would be excited to eat good food again, so they've let me choose what we eat while I'm home.

On Friday, I got home earlier than expected, so I was home for dinner. We didn't have much time to come up with something elaborate to make, so I went to the store to pick something up and found that our supermarket had beautiful porterhouse steaks on sale. The toughest thing about Brittain is the lack of good meats, so this was the perfect meal to have on my first night back. I picked up a few potatoes and some lettuce, and I had a very simple meal of a salad, mashed potatoes, and a 16 oz porterhouse. I don't think any food has ever tasted so good.


On Saturday, my extended family came over from Long Island (about an hour away) to celebrate my birthday and my visit back to Connecticut. It was another day of big meats, but this time it was part of a more well-rounded menu. We had leg of lamb on kebabs with grilled vegetables, fried potatoes, cous cous, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, and fresh bread from our local bakery. It was all followed by a homemade chocolate cake and presents, which made for a great evening.


I spent the day with my friends today, so when we had to decide what to do for dinner, it was an easy choice: our favorite pizza place, Pepe's pizza. Pepe's is an exact clone (same owner, same ovens, same everything) as Pepe's pizza in New Haven, which is consistently rated in the top 5 pizza restaurants in the country. After waiting in a half-hour line, we got into the restaurant an ordered the usual- 2 large pizzas, one pepperoni one sausage. I won't go too far into detail about Pepe's because it's the topic of my upcoming restaurant review.


So my time at home has been a welcome relief from the drudgery of Brittain and Woodruff. I've got two big meals left, so I'll be sure to make them count. Tomorrow is Kung Pao Chicken, and I'm not sure about Tuesday yet.

Photos from: http://www.geog.ucsb.edu/~julie/foodgallery/pepes.jpg, http://img.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/ck/clce/lamb-kebabs-ck-226293-l.jpg, http://how-to-cook-a-steak.infotycoon.com/how-to-cook-a-steak/porterhouse-steak.jpg

4 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious, but I must say that the one good thing about commutting to Tech is that I get to experience good home cooked meals like these ever day. Hope the rest of your week is just as enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're pretty lucky. I'm spending the break at Tech and the food, surprisingly, has gotten worse. I've decided to take this opportunity to explore the restaurants in midtown though, so it's not all that bad. i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like you had good food over the weekend.
    This weekend was, to most of people, a get away from Brittain food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so lucky to go home over the break. I ate at Chinatown everyday through out the entire break.

    ReplyDelete