Sunday, October 11, 2009

Shangri La's Barr Al Jissah Resort (★★★★☆)



Many people often have the notion that expensive restaurants are meant for people who are rich and important but this is not true. A trip to the Shangri La hotel resort will refute that belief.

Last year, Mr. Deng invited me to the Shangri La hotel because he said that the dinning and service there was excellent. Shangri La has a background history that originated from China. In Tibet, Shang was the slang for pass and ri stood for mountain and so Shangri La suggested a place that is accessed from the "mountain pass".

With that in mind, I drove to the Shangri La restaurant, full of expectations for surprises and excitement. The restaurant did not fail to please me and lived up to it name for being an "earthly paradise". After passing the gate, I was immediately awed by the huge mountain that loomed up before me and right in front, I could see a path that lead inwards. There were dim lights hanging on the cave walls which illuminated the ancient pictograms on the walls. It was an mesmerizing design for the entrance and I simply could not wait to see what the actual hotel looked like.

Emerging out of the tunnel, I was hit by the view of a huge building that was built on top of a cliff that overlooked the sea. I parked my car under a nearby tree shade and decided to walk to the dining hall. As I got out of my car, I could smell the salty scent of the sea nearby. The waves were crashing on the sands and as I looked out, there were many palm trees planted on the shores and many people were relaxing on soft beach chairs. Sea gulls roamed in the sky and there were children playing beach balls on the shore.

Feeling tranquil and enjoying myself thoroughly as I made my way up to the dining building. The building was a deep red in color and I could see two waiters in traditional Chinese costumes standing at the entrance. They parted and opened the glass doors when I arrived and showed me inside.

The waiter asked me politely if I had an reservation, and I said that Mr. Deng had done so. He was able to show professional attitude by immediately leading me to the table where Mr. Deng was sitting. I was glad to meet him and tell him about my previous experiences outside. It was then that he pointed out to me that I had not examined my current surroundings. Therefore, I began to examine my current surroundings. Chinese lanterns hang from the ceiling and the roof supports were decorated with the typical Chinese designs. I could see painting of horse-carts and people who were on their way to daily routine. There was also a red building that looked like the restaurant located on the map. The waiter standing nearby came over to me and told me that it was a painting which represented the Shangri La. He explained the details and history of the Shangri La to me in every aspect and I was thoroughly fascinated.

At this time, I was very expectant and went back to my seat. There was a soft baroque music playing in the background with another waiter came by and handed me a menu. Opening up the menu, I found that some of the food on the list was unfamiliar with so I asked the waiter for advice. He was immediately up to the task and began explaining every dish to me. He was also able to show me pictures of what the food looked like so that I could choose from the list.

After a few moments, I picked Zanba, a typical Tibetan food that was divided into several kinds: highland barley Zanba, pea Zanba and mixed Zanba. When the Tibetans go on a long journey, they carried this kind of food with them because it was very nutritious and tasty. It was made by drying highland barely in the sun and ground to a flour and mixed with buttered tea. Then some fine powdered milk and butter and mix thoroughly. Eating it does not require a spoon or fork but only the hands. The Zanba is mixed to a paste and then mould into small balls before eating. It was a new experience and I found it very interesting. It smelt very good and exciting. The food was chewy and smooth when eaten. The texture was soft and the Zanba ball immediately melted in my mouth. It was a delightful food that people of all ages would enjoy.

Another dish that I enjoyed greatly was Tea Smoked duck. This was brought to us as whole in a large casket and as the waiter lifted the lid, a stream of vapor appeared in front of me. I held up my hands to protect my face and saw through the gaps of my fingers, the radiant crispy fried duck appeared before me, full of temptations.

Then as I put the first piece of the thin slice on my plate, my taste buds were suddenly brought alive by the intense flavor of the duck. There was a distinct salty taste on the crispy duck skin and the inner meat was smooth and soft. It was very refreshing to eat and the crunchy taste of the golden skin gives it a special twist to the taste. I loved the smell because it gave off a rich tea aroma that I felt soothing. It also removed the stench that would sometimes be emitted from poultry. It was a fantastic meal and I was awed by the brilliance of food.

Next the mouth watering strawberry cheesecake appeared along with a plate of fresh fruits. The strawberry cheesecake was the best that I have ever eaten and I simply cannot forget the taste. It was so soft that at first I thought I had eaten something else by mistake. Then I looked down at the cheesecake to find it spongy and fluffy which explained for the featherlike texture of it. It melted into the mouth bringing with it a slight mint aftertaste. I immediately fell in love with it and now find it very hard to go back to ordinary cheesecake.

It was there, at Shangri La that I truly understood what an amazing experience food can be. My experience there has brought me to an understanding of how marvelous food can be. It is thoroughly an unforgettable experience and one that I could not forget.

Service: Excellent service by a group of experienced waiter who is always available nearby if you need assistance.

Cost: $$$$ (somewhat expensive but affordable to the majority).

Timings: Breakfast from 6.30am to 11.00am, Lunch from noon to 3.00pm, Dinner from 6.30pm to 11pm.

Environment: Quiet surroundings with soft music playing constantly. Great place to go for a relaxing break. There are special accommodates for smokers and non-smokers.

Payment: American Express, Diners Club, JCB, MasterCard, Visa

Reservation: No reservation required for breakfast or lunch.

Variety: There is also a special section for vegetarians. The food is classified according to the menu and placed on counters that are easily reachable. There are name tags showing you what the ingredients are so that you can avoid food that you don't want.

Phone: (968)-2477-6565

Website: http://www.shangri-la.com/en/property/muscat/barraljissahresort

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you broke it down at the end! It was a good summarizing effect to conclude your review.

    ReplyDelete