Friday, October 9, 2009

The Dairy Lane: A Tasty Tradition

Approximately two hours southeast of Atlanta on State Highway 15, you will find a unique dining experience in my hometown of Sandersville, Georgia – the Dairy Lane. I know what you may be thinking; and no, I did not spell it wrong. Dairy Lane is not a cheap spin off of the well-known Dairy Queen food chain. This locally owned diner is filled with memories, family, and friendship. The food is delicious, the service is unmatched, and the atmosphere is cozy. Any person who has ever enjoyed a meal in the quaint little diner will tell you that there is nothing quite like it for miles around.

Those raised in Sandersville understand that I cannot talk about Dairy Lane without explaining its deeply rooted historical background. It was established in the county seat of Washington County in 1955 as an ice cream shop that was only open during the summers. Hut Avant, Dairy Lane’s founder, saw a steady increase in business, and in 1957 he decided that it would be profitable to open it year round. The menu was expanded to include barbeque, hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken tenders. The restaurant continued to gain interest, as people were attracted to its tasty food, economical prices, and inviting atmosphere. Over the years, Dairy Lane has undergone a few structural improvements and even ownership changes, but it has always retained that small-town family feel that keeps customers coming back.

The interior of the restaurant is decorated with sports memorabilia. Framed jerseys of several local athletes who went on to play for the NFL, such as Robert Edwards and Takeo Spikes, bring the walls to life. There are also autographed photos of many sports celebrities who have eaten at Dairy Lane, including Georgia Tech’s Bobby Cremins. A lot of the memorabilia has to do with the University of Georgia, which is about 90 minutes up the highway. Although I find it disgusting, what I call the “UGA trash” appeals to the large number of Bulldog fans traveling through town on their way to Athens on game days. The Georgia-Florida game annually provides the establishment a huge surge of clientele. Dairy Lane’s decor spurs a great deal of debate about which player is better or which team will win. If you visit, be sure to wear your Georgia Tech apparel loud and proud!

Like the Varsity in Atlanta, Dairy Lane is known for its tradition as much as for its food. Families and friends have been gathering there for years to enjoy the good food and to celebrate birthdays, reunions, or other special occasions. Although it stays busy throughout the week, Dairy Lane is especially known for its crazy Friday nights! After football games, students from both Washington County High School and Brentwood School storm the “DL” for the food and the social environment. From jacked up trucks covered in mud to shiny muscle cars with roaring exhaust systems, you can find it all there on a Friday night. Dairy Lane is the place to be!

My most recent visit to Dairy Lane, and the occasion of this review, was just such a night. It was Homecoming for my alma mater, and I had traveled many miles to see the game and to get that taste of home I can’t find in Atlanta. After a beastly football victory by the Washington County Golden Hawks, I quickly sprinted to my car in order to beat the overwhelming crowd that would swarm the restaurant and parking lot in a matter of minutes.

Right as I came through the door, I was greeted by a barrage of loving inquiries from behind the counter. “Hey Sam!” “How is college?” “What have you been up to?” Each employee knows the regular customers by name. That type of service is hard to find. Whether you are local or from out of town, they make you feel at home by ensuring you get that extra fry in your bag or extra Oreos in your ice cream. Your food is in your hands before you know it, and they have caught you up on all the local news while you waited.

I placed my order: a double cheeseburger, fries, a vanilla coke, and chicken tenders. I received all of this for about five dollars! After living in Atlanta for half a semester, I have learned that dining out, even at fast food establishments, can be an extremely expensive occasion. Dairy Lane provides the most economical option for eating delicious food I have found anywhere. The prices are particularly good considering the generous amount of food you receive.

After a few minutes, the steaming food was on the counter awaiting my ambitious grip. I grabbed a bottle of ketchup and a honey mustard container on my way to my seat. After finding my friends, I positioned myself perfectly where I could watch the big screen television. Now I was prepared for the eating stage of my critique. The double cheeseburger was well prepared, looked appetizing, and was served standard with mayonnaise only. The special blend of seasonings gave the beef a wonderful flavor unique to Dairy Lane. The fries also had a distinctive taste and texture to them. The cook refrained from making them too greasy, and had found the perfect balance between crispy and soggy. The chicken tenders were amazing! With just the right combination of crunchy batter and fresh chicken breast meat, I would dare to say they were the best I have tasted by far. On top of it all, the Coca-Cola with natural vanilla flavoring completed the meal and quenched my thirst. In addition to Dairy Lane’s strong foundation in history and tradition, their food once again proved key to this positive review.

At the conclusion of my meal, I said goodbye to all of my friends inside and then continued my evaluation outside. An essential part of the Dairy Lane experience is the parking lot. It is a place where loitering is actually encouraged. The local teenagers stay out into the wee hours of the morning socializing in the nightlife hot spot of Sandersville. If a parent cannot locate their teen on a Friday night, the Dairy Lane is often their best bet. It is a great place to catch up with people and hear all about the local happenings.

As you can see, Dairy Lane is not just simply a good place to eat. It is a place where you can come and feel like family. It was established with small town values and strives to keep that attribute as the driving force to its success. It is marked by great service, unbeatable prices, tasty food, an inviting atmosphere, and rich history. Although it has become a social hub for Sandersville, visitors feel welcome as soon as they step through the door. Not many restaurants can boast the many years of service and dedication that Dairy Lane has provided for its small city of about 6,200 people, the surrounding county, and beyond. It’s no surprise that while other eating establishments have come and gone, Dairy Lane has thrived for over 54 years.

To conclude my review, I would have to say that eating at Dairy Lane is a must for anyone traveling south of Atlanta looking for a great dining experience! I give Dairy Lane four out of five stars – Very Good.

Dairy Lane

★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment