Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Blog Post 2: Cookbook Evaluations


First, I had no idea how many different cookbooks there were. Cookbooks are far more popular than I thought. With that said, I looked at many of the cookbooks there and chose my favorites to talk about. The Deen Bros.: Take it Easy by Jamie and Bobby Deen was a good cookbook. The recipes in it were simple and seemed easy enough for me to handle. The food in it was mostly americanized recipies. There was also a "kids" section with snack foods that are quick to make. Even though it was categorized for kids, I know that I would enjoy cooking such snakes in my dorm room. And the had plenty of pictures. Having pictures is a big help for me so I can evaluate my work when I'm finished. This book is more for the casual cook. Cooking recipes for a nice family dinner. But the kid section of the book lets the reader learn quick and simple recipies for simple yet tasty snacks.

The Deen family seems to be full of chefs. I saw many books from Paula Deen, who I assume to be the Deen Bros. mother. I had no idea how popular a single person could get just by writing a series of cookbooks. Paula had a countless number of cookbooks scattered throughout both bookshelves at the store.

The second book I liked was all about making candy. I love candy! Making sweets sounds like a lot of fun! The book was titled Field Guide to Candy by Anita Chu. The book had everything from chocolate to hard candy. The recipes on some candies seemed like a bit of work. Making candy can be pretty messy. And some recipes you must have perfect timing or the cand won't come out right. There weren't as many pictures in this book, but the recipies and directions seemed simple enough for me to handle. Since candy can get pretty messy, I don't see me cooking this in my dorm any time soon. The candies are organized into categories including chocolates and chewable candies. This cookbook is for any person that loves cooking and loves eating candy. The problem for me is that I love EATING the candy more than cooking it.

Sources:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0345513266.jpg
http://www.chroniclebooks.com/images/items/9781594/9781594744198/9781594744198_large.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment