Saturday, September 26, 2009

Korean BBQ at Georgia Tech



Last night, I decided to go to CRC with my friend David whom I used to go to same high school with and his two other friends. Towards the end of our work out, David suggested little cook out. Hungry I was, happily agreed on his plan. I was surprised at the equipment and amount of food he has in store in his room. He had rice cooker, electric grill, saucepan, rice, kimchi…etc.



Our plan was to cook in the smith’s 3rd floor kitchen. Since our main menu pork belly barbecue, the main problem with cooking inside the building was smoke. We did not want smoke detector to go off. The first solution came to our mind was simply opening the window; however, it did no help. Before we have even started cooking, the room was filling up with smoke. Secondly, we tried to use a vent attached to a stove, but it failed us too. Running up and down the building, we looked for an alternate place for us to cook in. After failing a few times, finally we found the perfect place. First floor! With an extension cord, we were able to cook outside. Even though it ruined what we intended, cooking and eating indoor in comfort, we were thrilled.


When the food was ready, four of us jumped on pork belly and grilled kimchi. I was so hungry by that time; I started eating without praying. The food tasted so good. While I was eating, I was able to forget everything that was stressing me out and could enjoy the food. In the course of our dinner, we had some Koreans living in Smith. We knew they wanted some Korean food. Most of them have never had chance to get Korean food since they left their home. It was a pure joy feeding them and watching them eat in enjoyment.


Through this meal, we all became friends. With a promise to have a dinner like this again, all of us departed to each others room with smile. I know for sure they will remember last night’s dinner for a long time. I would not be surprised if some of them have called their parents last night and told them about their experiences.



5 comments:

  1. That looks good and to think you guys were prepared to cook at the dorm. O_O I give you props on that one as well as how the pictures do not show the extension cord.

    :) Regardless of where you eat, as long as you are with friends I think it's always a win/a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that definitely looks good. I think that eating and cooking with friends is always a fun and great thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good indeed. Find a place for BBQ in dorm is not easy and I knew someone who tried to do popcorn and let the alarm go off.

    Also, to prepare food and eat with friends are always great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sonds really nice~ Actually, cooking never stops in our dorm. My PL always likes to bake cookies to share with us. Also, sometimes, I would cook some dumplings with my friends. The mos interesting part is not the cooking, it's all about sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been to Korea when I was 11. The pork belly was really nice and I can't find it in any Korean resturant in China. Just curious, where did you get fresh pork belly and what kind of sause you guys used to cook pork belly?

    ReplyDelete