Sunday, September 27, 2009

Revised HW #1

Michael Miller

Sweet! Warm! Buttery!


The last Thursday of every November contains many different memories for each person. Whether it involves being with their family around one big table or all the great food that slowly fades away from the plates. For me, the food and the football were the exciting highlights of Thanksgiving, but when I just say food that is an understatement of what I really mean. The tender turkey, the steaming hot stuffing containing many different ingredients, and the bright orange sweet potatoes with slightly burnt marshmallows on top are the types of food that streams across my mind when I think of Thanksgiving. As I sit and ponder on not only the food but also the name of the holiday, I remember the meaning of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is not just a day to eat as much food as possible; it defines as a day of giving thanks for the things we hold dear in our lives. By that second definition, I realize how much that ties into my family during Thanksgiving. My brothers and I giving our charming opinions on what we think of each other reminds me of just one little memory of giving thanks on the last Thursday of November. There is more to that great day that sticks in my head when I hear “Thanksgiving.” My mother! I thank her for the family that she has created and the wonderful dessert she uses to finish off the day. Dessert sends chills down my spine when the word registers with my brain. Yes, all the great food that we eat before the end of the day grants happiness to my stomach, but dessert, the dessert that my mom makes is almost an unexplainable taste.




http://www.whatwereeating.com/food-photos/2006-11-27_pumpkin-pie.jpg



Every Thanksgiving my mom makes the most delicious pumpkin pie that I have ever laid my taste buds on. For some reason, I always leave just enough room in my stomach for at least one whole pie. No matter how much turkey or stuffing I eat to make me full, I cannot resist the sweet, warm, buttery taste of my mom’s pumpkin pie. Many different secret ingredients go into the making of this pie, and somehow, either the art of my mom’s mixing or the amount of each individual ingredient forces my body into liking the pie. Do not get me wrong though; I do not like every pumpkin pie that I put in my mouth, only the pie that is crafted from my mother sends excitement to my stomach. Also, it is not like other foods in the sense that if I eat too much I will feel horrible after eating it. I can eat this pumpkin pie for days and never once will I feel sick. Although the taste is insurpassable to my taste buds, the sight I receive from the pumpkin pie is also very convincing. The light brown color that layers the top of the pumpkin pie draws my eyes into the dessert. The perfect circle created from the pie sheet has the crust extended just slightly above the outer pie sheet. As I stare drooling at the well rounded piece of pie, one of many thoughts in my brain tends to be if it is possible for a human being to say no to such a magnificent food. Yes, the looks of the pie draws a lot of attention, but when the oven is slightly cracked open the aroma that comes off of the tip of the pie is considered the icing on the cake. Once the smell reaches my nostrils, I am guaranteed to have a piece of that pie and many more pieces after that. My nose calculates the scent of warm fresh baked pie, and I’m trapped into having a piece. After re thinking the beauty of the dessert for after Thanksgiving, I am in a state of need for my mother’s pumpkin pie.

Of course the taste, smell, and looks lure me into having a whole pie after a huge Thanksgiving meal, but the most pivotal part of the whole dessert has yet to be mixed in with this pie. Once that perfectly sliced triangle of pie is placed on my side plate, I top the whole dessert off with the finest homemade whip cream I have ever tried. Even though the pie itself is perfect, the topping adds a whole new level of taste to the dessert. Not only on top though, I cover the whole pie with the freshly made cream, so that it blankets the slice of pie completely.

Warm pumpkin pie plus rich whipped cream equals a place in paradise when I consume this dessert after Thanksgiving. Although I am referring this meal to a dessert for after Thanksgiving, I sometimes suffer withdrawals from the incredible taste of pumpkin pie that I have to ask my mom to make the pie on certain weekends. Also, the pie is used as a great dessert in my family for other holidays such as: Christmas and Easter. One day when I was in fifth grade, my mom actually made enough pie for my whole class to each have a piece with some whipped cream, and I can remember all the questions I received that day about how she makes it and if she could send the recipe to their family. The memorable dessert dwell as a legend in my family and I will one day try to pass that great tradition down to my kids like my grandmother did for my mom. As easy as it is to hope and think that, I am not sure if I am capable of creating such a great piece of food like my mother has so well learned to do. The next time you decide to have a dessert to eat after Thanksgiving, just remember that I am sitting at my table with a warm buttery homemade pumpkin pie completely covered with white homemade whipped cream, which in five minutes will vanish from my plate.

1 comment:

  1. Good description of pumpkin pie. It makes me wonder if we have a pumpkin pie recipe at my house.

    ReplyDelete