Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cookbook Reviews

When I found out we had to read a ton of cookbooks and write on two, the first thing I thought was ‘Where in the world can I get a cookbook?’ And then, I thought, ‘The Library!’ As it was the first time I had been to the library to search for a book, I used the computer to search the term ‘cookbook.’ It was apparently on the 6th floor, east. I couldn’t find any stairs to take me from the 4th floor to the 5th. So, I decided, ebook it was.


I’ve always been into Mexican food. Naturally, the first ebook that appealed to me was ‘Mexican Cooking.’  (http://www.healthrecipes.com/free_ebooks/mexican.pdf) This is a very simplistic book, very low budget. Though the book has a wide range of dishes, ranging from Guacamole to Taco Salad, it has absolutely no pictures. Like 0. Zip. Nada. That was a major turn-off, I mean, in a cookbook, you expect pictures of the food you’re cooking. Other than that, the book is well presented. The ingredients are right under the heading, and a detailed description of how to cook the meal just under it. I can’t exactly comment on the credibility of the book, as it’s free, but the recipes look convincing enough to me. This book is for someone who already can cook really well and only needs a book to point them in the rough direction.


Moving on to the next free ebook, Pizzeria (http://www.healthrecipes.com/free_ebooks/pizzeria.pdf). This cookbook has a much larger list of recipes, but is limited to pizzas and little else. This suits me fine though, because with so much to select from, it really looks like the author has quite a bit of credibility on the subject. The format is pretty much the same as ‘Mexican Cooking,’ but it has one difference. A major, very annoying difference. It constantly bugs you with the same ad after every recipe. I would only recommend this book to someone who needs to make a pizza really quick and needs free recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment