Thursday, September 3, 2009

Oh Snap! Its a Ginger Snap!


Picture from http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cookie/GingersnapCookies.htm

Have you ever eaten a ginger snap? If you haven’t you’ve missed out on something wonderful. If you have, then you probably had a hard crunchy cookie with a very distinctive taste. Yet, there exist some amazing chefs that can create this wonderful little marvel in a new way. My aunt is one of those people. When I get my hands on those sugary cylinders of dough, I cannot control myself. I try to devour every last one of them.

My addiction for these cookies hit me the very first time I ate them. I slowly grabbed one and stuck a small piece of it in my young and picky mouth. As the bit slowly passed over my developing taste buds, I knew I would be hooked for life. Immediately, I wolfed down the rest of the cookie and attempted to go for the whole platter, but my mom saw and restrained me before I could get to the plate.

What makes these cookies different? For starters, they are not at all hard and crunchy. They are soft and squishy. When you let them sit on the table on top of one another they will meld together and form one massively over-sized cookie. Then, when you pick them up, they will crumble only slightly in effort to stay part of the humungous dough blob. The cookies themselves lack the strong burn that store bought ones supply but instead deliver a mix of sugar and ginger that will make a small kid want more. When the dough crosses your tongue it is not a solid crumb passing by but a delightfully freeform object that melds to your tongue as it slides to the back of your throat. There isn’t even a sound as you cut the morsel with your teeth.

Now about the recipe...I wish I had it. My aunt loves me and knows I adore her cookies, but, no matter how hard I pled, she will not give me the recipe. I may or may not get the recipe one day; it doesn’t really matter because the byproduct of this one recipe has comforted me throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment