Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Cookbook Review

The two cookbooks I chose to review are two cookbooks in which I have used often over the past several years and represent just about every culinary experience in which I operated on my own. The first cookbook is in fact, my very own first cookbook I received when I was 11 or 12, and is William-Sonoma’s The Kid’s First Cookbook. The cookbook, as the name implies is directed towards children and starts out with basic instruction for measurements and conversions, safety, and basic food preparation tips. The book lays out step by step instructions with informative pictures to help depict the proper procedure and what the finished product should look like. The book has a wide variety in difficulty level, ranging from fruit smoothies to tortellini and baked pork chops, and also encompasses all food groups from breakfast to dessert.
The next cookbook is my all time favorite cookbook and is the by the far the one I’ve used the most over the years, Chocolate Treats. Chocolate Treats is written for the obsessive sweet tooth, like me, who loves anything containing chocolate. The cookbook contains a wide variety of chocolate containing desserts, most of which geared toward the more advanced dessert cook, or at least someone with a lot of time on their hands. The cookbook starts out with a basic description of the different types of chocolate and the proper steps to different kinds of chocolate preparation. Like the kids cookbook, this one contains a picture of the finished product along with picture or two of some of the instep processes. In all, I was impressed with the layout and organization of both books. In both books the recipes are easy to follow and the common mistakes and more complicated preparations for that recipe, are either explained and shown in a picture within the recipe itself or referenced a section in the front of the book where that process is explained

No comments:

Post a Comment