Monday, September 14, 2009

Groceries


So, this past weekend my roommate and I went grocery shopping at Target. While we were there, we decided that getting food for are dorm room would be a very intellectual move on our part, seeing how we are always complaining about the early closing time of Britain Dining Hall (10 p.m. for those that don't know). We had the food in our basket, snack stuff such as cereal, goldfish, popcorn, Dr. Pepper, etc., when we realized that we had nothing to put our snacks on or in. So it was off the the dishes.
Until this moment, I had never realized how much goes into choosing dishes. There's plastics, rubber, glass, metal, and more. But you have to be careful because not everything is microwavable. This I did not know. Nor did my roommate. Luckily for us, as we were deciding on what we wanted, trying to get the best deal, as college students tend to do, an assistant walked up. She started explaining to us some of the differences between the dishes. Not like a full blown out explanation, but enough to get us what we needed. We ended up going with the non-microwavable plastics because we figured we would probably not be microwaving anything in them.
Our trip to Target on Saturday turned out to be very education for both my roommate and I. I'm very glad I went that day.

8 comments:

  1. Is there a valid reason why you went with the non-microwavable dishes? What if by some freak chance you have to microwave in a bowl or the world explodes? (It's possible).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally use microwavable dishes because as a college student I will eat whatever is given to me or whatever I buy for my room. Most of the time, the quick dinners have to be microwaved or if you save food from the day before it needs to be microwaved. If its not too late, you should return the dishes and get microwavable ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well actually one of my friends said he has the same bowls and plates, and he has microwaved them and nothing has happened. So I think I'm fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They actually had microwavable safe dishes at target? I couldn't find a single one no matter which store I went to back in Augusta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually I found some microwavalble dishes at Target and I got one glass~You can return it can get microwavable dishes.It's fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dishes are something that my dorm room is lacking as well. I have acquired various cups through trips back home, but I need to actually get some plates and bowls and such. Eating out of the box or bag only works for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I recommend these. They work well, are big for bowls, and as I said earlier, my friend has microwaved his, and nothing has happened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I should probably go get some dishes. I have a bunch of disposable plates and cups and utensils that were left over from my graduation party but some bowls would be nice. A couple weeks ago I made brownies for my friends birthday and I had to go buy a measuring cup along with the cooking ingredients. But I forgot about a bowl to mix everything in. I ended up using a long, rectangular tupperware container. I looked very silly.

    ReplyDelete