Sunday, November 22, 2009


It has been a long time for me to contribute to the blog. Thanksgiving break is coming up soon, my group’s final project is moving along the direction towards finish. Last week, I cooked and filmed my recipe at the Smith Hall. The recipe I decided to cook was the fried egg with tomatoes. Since our group’s cookbook theme is college food, the recipe chosen has to be easy to prepare, easy to acquire the ingredients, as well as cost cheap. In order to incorporates all the themes for the cookbook as well as relate to the international aspect of the recipe, the fried egg with tomatoes was my final choice to contribute to the cookbook. The procedures will not be unveiled until the presentation day. Here is the list of ingredients:

Ingredient:

2-3 tomatoes

8-12 eggs

Green Onions

Cooking vegetable oils

1.5 teaspoon of salt

Red pepper

 The original plan of my recipe is to cook dumplings. Since dumplings are well known in the U.S. Before I cooked the fried egg with tomato, I went through the entire process to prepare the dumplings, as well cooking the dumplings. I bought the pre-made dumpling wrappers in the market, some ground pork, and chives used for the dumpling fillings.  Since each recipe is required to be enough to four people to eat, therefore, at least 40 dumplings are necessary to be wrapped. The first step is to chop the chives, and blend with the grounded pork thoroughly, and add some sesame oil, salt and pepper into the fillings. Next step is most painful and time consuming, wrap 40 dumplings. Well, I didn’t have the time and patience to wrap 40 dumplings, to wrap 40 dumplings takes up to an hour. I ended wrapping around 15 dumplings in half hour. So I decided just to award my stomach for the day, and not to cook dumplings as our group’s recipe. The time it takes does not match the theme of the cookbook. However, the dumpling tasted good after cooked. 



4 comments:

  1. OMG... Dumplings!!! My favourite!
    However I doubt if we can manage to make dumplings in the loundge... Still, they taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look tasty plus remind me of another indian dish called modaks which is from my native place and their actually supposed to be very sweet but look exactly the same as your dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about making dumplings for a while now but I can't find a place that sells dumpling wrappers. If anyone knows of an asian store near campus let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle, if you really want to make dumplings, and also make dumplings for our another recipe, my friend can drive me to the asian market to buy the wrappers.

    ReplyDelete