Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ugh!!! I think I'm allergic to Pollen!!!

Have you ever tried to win an argument, or convince someone else that you know what you're talking about? Pollen sure has with his book, "In Defense of Food". Unfortunately, throughout the entire book he has been unable to convince me that any of his claims are worth giving even the slightest amount of consideration. He hardly provides any support for his arguments, and when he does, it is twisted information that has been taken out of its original context. When he isn't filling our heads with delusional psycho babble, he boldly points out all of the problems with the way we eat. Its funny, although he finds it necessary to repeatedly berate us and our eating habits, he doesn't seem to think that presenting a feasible alternative is required. What good does pointing out faults do if you don't offer any way to fix them?

So this is my opinion on Pollon. As you can see I'm his biggest fan. I'm going to go read something worthy of my attention now... Like FML...

7 comments:

  1. I'm Loving the pun! It's pretty sad though when FML.com is more interesting. I also liked your opinion that he is putting "delusional psycho babble" in our heads! very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I now understand what Dr. Tiff meant when she said that my section generates a different vibe about the book in general. Very different, I must add.

    "I'm allergic to Pollan". Good job... it takes balls to joke and create puns about your syllabus in plain view of your instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I totally agree, Pollan just throws pointless nonmeaningful facts at us, that we have never heard of before. I mean he could have simplified the book easily.

    Michael Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess what I hate Pollen most is that he is always tell us what's wrong, why it is wrong, what we shouldn't be doing, but seldom mention what should be doing and why. I feel he is not constructive at all and his purpose is destruct all food science

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the start of reading this book, I thought of Pollen as an angry old man trying to make his point while no one is listening to him. There is a point where you can't take him seriously. I do agree that he has some valid arguments, but I do not think that he is going to change society in the least bit. I mean it was an interesting book, but you really just have to leave it at that, "an interesting book."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah.. Basically, everyone doesn't want to be told that he or she is doing something wrong. Especially in Pollen's case when he is using all kinds of sources to prove that we are wrong. It hurts our feelings

    ReplyDelete
  7. great opinion i think its everyones opinion ....basically put out all our views gawd knows how his earlier book was received??

    ReplyDelete