Sunday, November 15, 2009

yet another one of my favorites



Here's another one of my favorite dishes...dosas.Pretty well known again all over india and probably the world also but mainly originated from southern part of india. Ive seen shops that sell like over a HUNDRED different varities of. Well my mom has mastered making dosas which i think most indians moms might have by now but obviously i love my moms dosas the most that any restaurants. The thing is that there are sooo many different varities in which it can be eaten which never makes it boring!!!

Ingredients:
Dosa shell:
1 1/2 cups rice
1/2 cup urad dal
salt to taste
Oil

Masala Filling:
2 large potatoes
1 medium onion (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon yellow split peas
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1-2 green chili1 tablespoon oilsalt to taste
Preparation:
Dosa shell
Separately soak rice and urad dal at least 6 hour or overnight in water.
Grind to paste.
Mix together, add salt with water to make batter.
Leave in room temperature overnight.
Mix onion and chilies to the thin batter.
Heat pan or griddle with little ghee or oil.
Spread the mix on pan in circular motion to make thin Dosa.
Cook on both the sides, if desired.
Masala Filling (Spicy Filling):
Heat oil. Add mustard seed, peas, onions and spice.
Fry for about 5 minutes on medium heat or/until onions are turned into golden brown
Add potatoes and mix and cook some more Serve
Add filling inside Dosa and roll. Serve hot with Chutney.

The masala here again is pretty different from the ones i told about earlier but here people even eat it without the filling and it still tastes amazing!

5 comments:

  1. I'm from South India (where dosas are a staple) but I never really liked them. They were always too salty or too sweet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is nothing even similar, but the picture at the top reminds me very much of a burrito.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know it looks more like a stuffed crepe to me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to learn to make dosas! My mom and I love Indian food. We usually go to Global Mall or some Indian restaurants near our house and we always order dosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its actually not that different from a stuffed crepe served with some kind of dip.

    ReplyDelete