Sunday, November 1, 2009

Misleading Recipes

So I'm the last person from my group to blog today. Needless to say, all the good topics about the experience are already taken. Gah.

I realized, however, that cooking recipes can be highly misleading. So, being the good obedient, law abiding college children, were faithfully cooking a small starter using a recipe we found online. Even though we went through every single step carefully and added the right amount of everything (ok, a bit too much salt but that doesn't matter), the end product was nowhere close to what the picture looked like. From now on, I'm just going to leave gourmet cooking to gourmet chefs. Ramen is good enough for now!

9 comments:

  1. I don't think the picture can always be remade. Some restaurants make plastic versions of their foods and then film them for the commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appearance is the least concern when starting off; it's the taste that matters!

    This reminds me of an old cartoon I use to watch where two characters were making cookies in the shape of bunnies. One character made the perfect bunny shape whereas the other character had cookies with a chipping shape of a bunny. That other character had edible cookies as a friend of the two "fainted" after tasting the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty sure I have yet to get food from fast food restaurants that look like the picture. What should look like a nice burger looks like a pile of mushed bread. Restaurants seems to hit the mark much closer though. I wouldn't worry about the looks, its the taste that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that what matters is the taste. Even though fast food, or homemade recipes never look the same in real life we enjoy eating them anyway. Appearances are always deceiving when it comes to food, but don't let your first try bring you down. Practice makes perfect, as I hear they say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha. Agreed, its seems like a mystery how they get their food to look so perfect, but if its your job I guess thats why they get so good at it. Did the meal taste right though?

    Michael Miller

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure the gourmet cooks weren't experts the first time either. You should give up from just one experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From your presentation, it seemed like you chose some pretty tough recipes for a group of people that didn't have much cooking experience. Recipes like that often don't turn out perfectly until you've made them a few times.

    ReplyDelete